I am a Harrison Early Career Assistant Professor in the Department of Statistics at the University of Warwick.
Previously, I was a postdoc at the University of Torino with Pierpaolo De Blasi. I obtained my PhD in Statistics at Bocconi University, under the supervision of Antonio Lijoi and Igor Prünster.
I am also member of the “de Castro” Statistics Initiative at Collegio Carlo Alberto, of the BayesLab at Bocconi University and of the MIDAS Complex Data Modeling Research Network.
A full version of my CV may be found here.
- Bayesian nonparametrics
- Statistical optimal transport and Wasserstein distances
- Stochastic processes and random measures
- A Wasserstein index of dependence for random measures.
M. Catalano, H. Lavenant, A. Lijoi and I. Prünster (under revision, pdf).
- Posterior asymptotics for boosted hierarchical Dirichlet process mixtures.
M. Catalano, P. De Blasi, A. Lijoi and I. Prünster (2022).
Journal of Machine Learning Research, 23(80), 1−23 (pdf).
- Measuring dependence in the Wasserstein distance for Bayesian nonparametric models.
M. Catalano, A. Lijoi and I. Prünster (2021).
The Annals of Statistics, 49 (5), 2916-2947 (pdf, YoungStatS blog).
Winner of the ASA-SBSS 2021 Student Paper Competition
- Transport distances on random vectors of measures: recent advances in Bayesian nonparametrics.
M. Catalano, A. Lijoi and I. Prünster (2021).
In Advances in Probability and Mathematical Statistics, Springer, 59-70. (link).
- Approximation of Bayesian models for time-to-event data.
M. Catalano, A. Lijoi and I. Prünster (2020).
Electronic Journal of Statistics, 14, 3366-3395 (pdf).
- Bayesian model comparison based on Wasserstein distances.
M. Catalano, A. Lijoi and I. Prünster (2019).
Book of Short Papers of the Italian Statistical Society, Pearson (pdf).
- Faculty of Science, Engineering and Medicine Postdoctoral Prize, University of Warwick (2022)
- Finalist, Savage Award 2021 ‘Theory and Methods’ (2022)
- j-ISBA Blackwell-Rosenbluth Award (2021)
- IMS New Researcher Travel Award (2021)
- ASA-SBSS Student Paper Competition (2021)
Presentations & Posters
- Invited talk at Bernoulli Young Researcher Event 2022 (Jul 2022)
- Invited talk at ISBA 2022 (Montreal, Jun 2022)
- Talk at SIS2022 (Caserta, Jun 2022)
- Invited talk at the Third Italian Meeting on Probability and Mathematical Statistics (Bologna, Jun 2022)
- Invited talk at the Workshop on Bayesian nonparametrics, Postech (Pohang, May 2022)
- Talk at 100 UMI - 800 UniPD (Padova, May 2022)
- Seminar at the StatML CDT, Imperial College London & University of Oxford (London, May 2022)
- Seminar at S3AI, JK Universität Linz (May 2022).
- Seminar at the School of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, May 2022)
- Invited talk at BNP networking workshop (Nicosia, Apr 2022)
- Seminar at the Department of Economics and Finance, Luiss (Rome, Mar 2022)
- Seminar at the School of Mathematics, Cardiff University (Cardiff, Mar 2022)
- Seminar at the Applied Maths Seminars, University of Warwick (Coventry, Feb 2022)
- Invited talk at BIRS-CMO Workshop (Oaxaca, Nov 2021)
- Seminar at the Algorithms & Computationally Intensive Inference Seminars at University of Warwick (Coventry, Nov 2021)
- Invited talk at JB^3 for Blackwell-Rosenbluth Award (Nov 2021)
- Seminar at the Department of Statistical Sciences, University College London (London, Nov 2021)
- Invited talk at OxWaSP Annual Workshop (Oct 2021)
- Invited talk at JSM (Aug 2021)
- Invited talk at ISBA 2020 (Jun 2021)
- Invited talk at ECOSTA 2021 (Jun 2021)
- Seminar at the Department of Economics, University of Bergamo (May 2021)
- Invited talk at the One World YoungStatS webinar (Apr 2021)
- Seminar at the Department of Statistics and Data Science, Cornell University (Feb 2021)
- Invited talk at CMSTATISTICS 2020 (Dec 2020)
- Poster at WiML Workshop co-located with NeurIPS (Dec 2020)
- Invited talk at BAYSM:O (Nov 2020)
- Talk at Bernoulli-IMS One World Symposium 2020 (Aug 2020)
- Invited talk at XV CLAPEM 2019 (Mérida, Dec 2019).
- Poster at O’Bayes 2019 (Warwick, Jun 2019)
- Poster at BNP12 (Oxford, Jun 2019)
- Invited talk at SIS 2019 (Milano, Jun 2019).
- Invited talk at Second Italian Meeting on Probability and Mathematical Statistics (Vietri sul Mare, Jun 2019).
- Bayesian Forecasting and Intervention at University of Warwick (AY 2021/2022)
- Numerical and Statistical Methods for Finance at University of Torino (TA, AY 2020/2021)
- Data Analysis at Bocconi University (TA, AY 2020/2021, 2019/2020, 2018/2019, 2017/2018)
- Mathematics and Statistics at Bocconi University (TA, AY 2018/2019, 2017/2018)
Department of Statistics, University of Warwick, CV4 7AL Coventry UK